Skip to main content

The Future of Online and Blended Learning

The Future of Online and Blended Learning

With emerging technologies such as AI, Virtual Reality, microlearning, and mobile learning, along with the implementation of tools like ChatGPT and Google Gemini in our daily work, the use of technology is greater than ever. The question remains: how will this impact learning? Koksal states, “Online learning has shown significant growth over the last decade, as the internet and education combine to provide people with the opportunity to gain new skills. Since the COVID-19 outbreak, online learning has become more centric in people's lives” (Koksal, 2020).

Since online learning has already taken the world by storm, especially since COVID-19, the question is: what will it look like in the future, even as soon as ten years from now? Today, we will examine the current state of online and blended learning, review emerging technologies, and explore their potential impact on the future of education.

Technology Today

As most of you know, technology is at the forefront of our world. Over the last few years, it has transformed the way people learn and access information. Purdue University states, “Technology has greatly expanded access to education…Opportunities for communication and collaboration have also been expanded by technology…Technology has also begun to change the roles of teachers and learners” (University, 2024).

Technology has revolutionized education, primarily through advancements in AI, VR, mobile learning, and microlearning.

  • Artificial Intelligence (AI): “Artificial intelligence refers to computer systems that can perform complex tasks normally done by human reasoning, decision-making, creating, etc.” (May, 2024).

  • Virtual Reality (VR): “VR is a technology that allows a user to interact with a computer-simulated environment, whether that environment is a simulation of the real world or an imaginary world” (Mandal, 2013).

  • Mobile Learning: “Any learning activity that utilizes a mobile device—usually a smartphone. Mobile learning seeks to leverage the ubiquity and unique capabilities of mobile devices to make course materials available to students wherever they are and to create new kinds of learning experiences” (DePaul, 2017).

  • Microlearning: “Microlearning is an instructional mode that targets a discrete, highly focused topic or skill, providing small amounts of instruction that can be consumed in a short period and may be for immediate use” (Rof, 2024).

Many of these technologies were not widely used even five years ago, yet today, they are reshaping education. These advancements offer significant benefits, such as increased collaboration, innovative learning methods, and alternatives to traditional classroom settings.

For instance, AI has revolutionized personalized learning. AI-driven software can analyze student performance data and adjust learning plans accordingly, creating a customized learning experience. As a former teacher, I understand the challenges of meeting individual student needs in a large classroom. AI's ability to assess data quickly and tailor instruction accordingly is a game-changer.

Virtual Reality has also made significant strides in online education. By allowing students to engage with simulated learning environments, VR provides more immersive and interactive experiences, making learning more engaging and impactful compared to traditional methods.

The rise of these new technologies has transformed online and blended learning, explaining why many schools and educators now favor these models over traditional instruction.

Technology of the Future

As mentioned, online and blended learning have expanded significantly in recent years, particularly following the COVID-19 pandemic, which forced a global shift to digital learning. While we have already seen benefits such as personalized instruction and streamlined learning experiences, we must ask ourselves: what does this mean for the future?

Concerns for the Future

Although online learning has existed for years, its long-term implications remain uncertain. Considering the next decade, several questions arise:

  • How will online learning impact student socialization? Will students struggle with in-person interactions if they primarily engage through screens?

  • Can AI accurately monitor student data? Given that AI is a machine, how reliable will it be in assessing student progress?

  • What will happen to teachers? As online and blended learning shift teachers into facilitator roles rather than traditional instructors, will fewer college students pursue teaching careers since it will differ from their own educational experiences?

While we will gain more insight into these issues over the next ten years, the long-term effects of online and blended learning remain largely unknown.

A Brighter Tomorrow

Despite these uncertainties, based on my learning in LDT 523, research, and observations of technology's impact on education, I predict the following changes over the next decade:

  • Traditional classrooms will decline, with most schools operating at least 75% online.

  • Adaptive learning technology will enhance accessibility for students with disabilities, potentially reducing the need for some special education programs.

  • Students will progress through course content more efficiently, gaining confidence in their learning abilities.

  • Schools that remain in-person will incorporate more digital learning days throughout the academic year.

  • AI integration will reduce the need for students to learn certain job-related skills, as AI will handle many tasks, shifting how we approach education and employment.

  • Work hours may decrease, allowing people to spend more time with family due to reduced workloads facilitated by AI.

  • Blended learning models may decline, with schools opting for either fully online or fully in-person instruction.

Conclusion

Online and blended learning have transformed education through innovations like AI, VR, mobile learning, and microlearning. These advancements have allowed for greater personalization, streamlined data analysis, and flexible learning opportunities. While the long-term effects remain uncertain, the trajectory suggests positive changes in how students learn and build confidence.

I am excited to see how online and blended learning evolve as I continue my career as a learning designer.

References

DePaul. (2017). Mobile Learning | Technology | Teaching Guides | Teaching Commons | DePaul University, Chicago. Depaul.edu. https://resources.depaul.edu/teaching-commons/teaching-guides/technology/Pages/mobile-learning.aspx

Koksal, I. (2020, May 2). The Rise Of Online Learning. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ilkerkoksal/2020/05/02/the-rise-of-online-learning/

Mandal, S. (2013). Brief Introduction of Virtual Reality & its Challenges. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 4(4). https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=b879c50ac2827e11575c589d5c199e30f83e97bc

May, K. (2024, May 13). What is Artificial Intelligence? NASA. https://www.nasa.gov/what-is-artificial-intelligence/

Rof, A., Bikfalvi, A., & Marques, P. (2024). Exploring learner satisfaction and the effectiveness of microlearning in higher education. ˜the œInternet and Higher Education/˜the œInternet and Higher Education, 62(100952), 100952–100952. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2024.100952

Spector, C. (2024, February 14). How technology is reinventing education | Stanford Report. News.stanford.edu. https://news.stanford.edu/stories/2024/02/technology-in-education

University, P. (2024, January 1). How Has Technology Changed Education? Purdue University College of Education. https://education.purdue.edu/2024/01/how-has-technology-changed-education/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building an E-Learning Module

Building an E-Learning Module Being able to build an effective e-learning module has been one of the many goals I have had throughout my learning design and technology graduate program. I recently took one of my last classes in my course sequence LDT 504, where I got the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of Articulate Storyline to build my own e-learning module. Today I want to highlight the good and the difficult tasks that I have found in building an e-learning module, and then I want to highlight some future changes that I can see with e-learning going forward. The Overview: For context, I was assigned a task where I was to select a scenario-based design case to help me with building my e-learning module. I chose to work on the Mia Grace Environmental Foundation. Please review a little about my role below: After virtually meeting with Carol, essentially my goal was to create a learning module to help the parents of students work with their students in order to help their stude...

I'm On the Curve

The Early Majority: Rodger's Diffusion of Innovation Theory suggests that people are divided into five categories in which they go about understanding new technology within learning design. "The five categories of adopters are innovators, early adopters, early majorities, late majorities, and laggards" (ASU, 2024).   Image of the Bell Curve for Rodger's Diffusion of Innovation Theory (ASU, 2024) Upon reflecting and learning about the different categories of adopters, I consider myself part of the early majority of adopters. Today, I want to share my perspective as a learning designer and how I make decisions that align with where I stand on Rodger's Diffusion of Innovation Theory bell curve. I will then reflect on the possible changes to the curves impacting me as I learn more about learning design and the steps I need to continue learning more as an upcoming learning designer. What is the Early Majority?   First, let's reflect on what it means to be par...